The original Le Mars Public Library was built in 1903 with funds from industrialist financier Andrew Carnegie. The building was dedicated in 1904, housing 3,885 books.
The library remained in the Carnegie building until August 1976. Le Mars Public Library is now located in a remodeled Red Owl Supermarket purchased by the city in July 1973.
In 1986, the Le Mars Totem Pole was dedicated to the library by the Le Mars Woodcarvers Association. The totem pole represents the best of Le Mars and includes school mascots, an Iowa cornstalk, a farmer and a white steeple church.